Saturday, February 7, 2015

Everybody Needs a Little Fantasy

Empty nesting for me has sometimes become an inward journey of who I am and why I am the way I am.  I have begun to realize that I have always had the same core likes and dislikes.  Although we do change, some things just don't.   What I'm really trying to say is that I wish we could realize our core selves earlier in life.  

For instance, I have always loved to read.  Especially fantasy.  When I was small I always leaned toward the epic, historical, medieval kind of fantasy.  And unlike a typical little girl, I wasn't always drawn to the king or the queen or the prince or the princess.  No, I was always amazed by the trolls and the fairies and the creatures - be them good or evil.  The weirder they were, the better I liked it.  I have always been drawn to the darker side of things.  I sometimes like stories with a little dark in them - maybe it's because the creatures and the landscape are so interesting.  The landscape - how magnificent.  It can be anything - anything at all.  

I know many people, most of my friends and family in fact, who prefer realism.  It has to seem real - like real life situations - something relate-able to real life.  Maybe that's why there are so many reality tv shows, although I do notice more and more fantasy films coming out.  Well, for me - I get enough real all day long.  If I'm going to curl up and get into a good movie or especially a book - take me away.  Take me away to a place that only fantasy can take me. 

Now, I am kind of picky about my fantasy.  I'm not a lover of science fiction.  I'm not really all that into superheroes.  And - dare I say it - I'm not a Dr. Who fan.  (ok, it's out there - don't be hatin').  In my defense, I'm going to get on Netflix and "give it a go" - again.

I mean BBC is one of my all time favorites.  I love British fantasy and especially the "Merlin" series. I definately prefer that to Dr. Who.  (tentative smile) 

I teach a teen girls Sunday School class and one of the questions I always ask them just to get to know them better is "if you could live in any decade, which one would it be?"  One of the girls wrote "well this one of course, otherwise I would be upsetting the time continuum".  Obviously, this girl is a fan of Dr. Who.    

We had a talk about fantasy vs. realism in my Writer's Class the other day.  I liked the point that we left on - really - all stories are fantasy in one way or another.  Even if they're true, they are either exaggerated or emphasized or twisted just enough to make them more interesting.  

The 1980's was a true renaissance period for fantasy flicks.  Check these out and let me know how many of them you have seen or read.  My favorites are

"The Dark Crystal" 1982 Jim Hensen/Frank Oz
The Gelflings had amazing hair...
  How can you not love those musical mystics? 

Obviously - "The Neverending Story"  1984 screenplay by Wolfgang Peterson originating from Michael Ende's 1979 novel.
Aww - come Falcor, come on boy - how adorable is he?  And he can fly!!  And he will give you a ride! 

"Legend" 1985 by Ridley Scott 
Tom Cruize starred in this darker side fantasy.  I wouldn't recommend this for younger viewers but it's an amazing fantasy flick.  Look!  A unicorn!  Who doesn't love a real-life unicorn?  


One of my all-time favorites and a classic among fantasy lovers "Labrynth"  1986 Jim Henson starring David Bowie.  David Bowie!  What empty nester doesn't love David Bowie!


"A Princess Bride" 1987 - Now some fantasy films are so good that they stretch the boundaries between fantasy and realism lovers.  This one is a classic of the classics.  If you haven't seen this movie, I'm not sure you are human...


"Willow" 1988 - It's interesting that this film by the infamous George Lucas ended up as a rather obscure fantasy film - one of the  first starring roles for Val Kilmer


Those are some of the best of the best in my opinion.  of course following decades had some good ones too -

Some of my favorites are: 

90's - Edward Scissorhands, Harry Potter, Jumanji, and...

"Warriors of Virtue" - I don't usually love Chinese American films, but this one was exceptional directed by Ronny Yu


Then come the 2000's which have found themselves with new fantasy and remodeling or reissuing old ones...Here are some of my favs - 



Lord of the Rings (J.R. Tolkein original writing 1937, revised 1949, and the huge epic films in the 2000's)

The Hobbit (J.R. Tolkien 1937 - and obviously the new films still promising epic fantasy viewing)






Pans Labrynth (an Italian film 2006 by Gullermo del Toro - now this is an interesting film mixing the reality of the Holocaust with some very dark fantasy - definately a film for the adult with a strong stomach)




Phoebe in Wonderland (this is a 2008 independent film by director Daniel Barnz and is a tough find - but what a great film - mixing the reality of schizophrenia and fantasy - one of my favorites for sure - worth the watch if you can find it)



And FINALLY - I know this blog is ridiculously long - I could go on - this is just a touch of what I love about fantasy - and let it be known - the best way to indulge is through the books - they are so much better than the films... so...

so FINALLY - My favorite read of all time in the darker side of the fantasy world is "The Historian".  it's not really a horror novel - but more like an historical fantastical eerie tale  - 



So are you a reader?  Let me know what you like!  Oh - and I have to say one thing -  I do disagree with the ending of one of the above stories -  "Labrynth" in the end, the girl is brought to reality and realizes she is too old to live in a fantasy world so she throws out everything that has to do with fantasy - her toys, her collections, her books, her dolls, her costumes - everything.  WHAAAAT?!!!!  

 While I realize we can't function in the world of fantasy - I think we all need to go there once in a while.  No matter how old you are!  C'mon Mr. Hensen - we all know this would never be the road you would have taken - way to crush a daydream!  

In fact if you want to give fantasy a try - a good start would be with a brand new book just put on Amazon written by my friend Scott Keen

"Scar of the Downers"
You can pre-order it today!  It's a great place to start!  






2 comments:

  1. Well I have to admit that I am not a fantasy lover, but you do make it sound very interesting..like I might even try it!!! Nice blog...

    ReplyDelete